The wind farm will produce electricity for approximately 37,00 average Australia households as well as promoting Victoria as an environmentally friendly eco-power destination. The resulting displacement of greenhouse gas emissions is expected to be equivalent to up to 210,000 tonnes of CO2 per annum. The indicative capital cost of the wind farm is estimated at AUD$90-$100m, with a significant amount to be spent in Victoria. Employment and
- 40-48 FTE positions during construction.
- 4-6 ongoing direct FTE positions.
- Local economy direct jobs 33.
- Indirect jobs created in Australia 99.
- Australian spend AUD$45-$60m.
- Victoria has 17% of national wind capacity and 20% of all WTG’s in Australia.
- NWF could lift the Victoria share by 11%.
The National Picture .....
- Australia needs wind energy:
• to secure billions of dollars of investment and tens of thousands of jobs for regional and rural Australian communities;
• to protect against the rising cost of generation from fossil fuels;
• to help meet its commitments for reducing carbon emissions without buying overseas permits.
- Wind energy is the least expensive form of utility-scale renewable energy generation capable of being rolled out on a large scale. Australia stands to gain some $17 billion of investment and 10,000 jobs from wind energy projects that are currently proposed or approved. Much of this would flow to regional and rural Australia.
- Wind energy can also protect against the expected price hikes in the cost of fossil fuels such as coal and gas. Few Australians realise we are now in competition with the rest of the world for gas – and higher demand has already doubled wholesale prices in the last year. While gas power stations are cheaper to build today than wind, the cost of wind energy is coming down fast ....... thanks to advances in technology and larger-scale component production. As gas prices continue to rise into the future, so will the cost of running gas power stations. Meanwhile, the fuel cost of the wind is free – and Australia has it in abundance.